No products in the cart.
There’s nothing worse than musty odors, and they’re not good for you to breathe in, no matter how bad they smell. A musty odor can be caused by a variety of factors, ranging from something as minor as stale air in an older home that has been closed for some time to more serious issues such as mold in the walls. It is also caused by the mildew growth on your clothes, shoes, and leather due to high humidity in the air. The most common cause of musty odors in your house is mold or mildew in the damp walls.
The good news is that you can get rid of musty smells from your home, your clothes, and your life. Let us take a look at how you can identify the source of a musty smell, what actions you can take to remove the smell, and, most importantly, how to keep the musty odor away from your home.
The presence of mold or mildew, as we’ve seen, is the most typical cause of a musty odor in your home. A musty odor does not necessarily suggest that there is a lot to it because the microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) released by mold and mildew have a low odor threshold. Take some time to search around for mildew or mold patches before attempting to mask the odor. Mold can be found in a variety of places around your home, including:
Your bathroom – Mold love bathrooms because they are moist and warm. You should start with the most obvious spots, such as the shower tiles. Water leaks aren’t usually obvious right away, but a thorough inspection of your bathrooms should reveal if there’s a moisture problem that’s causing mold growth.
The kitchen – Mold can lurk in a variety of areas in the kitchen, so you’ll want to inspect it thoroughly. Examine the inside, bottom, and around your refrigerator, as well as the sink, microwave, and stove.
In the bedrooms — Though, your bedroom may not seem like a great place for mold to grow but it’s very possible. To keep your room smelling fresh, you will want to check for mold on your mattress, your bedroom windows, windowsills, and any potted plants you have.
Living room – The living room is a relatively nice spot for your family and mold to hang out, thanks to the windows, furniture, and fireplace (if you have one).
Other places you should check for mildew, mold, or moisture are in your wardrobe, air conditioning, and heating ducts, inside and around your washer and dryer, and in the walls and ceiling around your home.
Now that you have located the source of the musty odor it is now time to eliminate it using a dehumidifier.
Place the dehumidifier in the area where you want to remove the smell. Keep the dehumidifier 6 inches or more from any walls, furniture, or curtains.
Close all of the room’s doors and windows.
All closets and doors, including dresser drawers, should be opened.
Set the dehumidifier to high and leave it running for a week or two. You can leave the dehumidifier running without attendance, but you should check the dehumidifier once or twice a day to see if the tank needs emptying. When the tank is full, your dehumidifier will turn off automatically. A dehumidifier guarantees to remove excess moisture from the air and make your home odorless and fresh to live.
Facing the same problems, buy a dehumidifier today.